Thursday 11 April 2013

On being suicidal

This is something I wrote on 15/03/13...I kept it aside to see how I would reflect on it.


Let me come out and say this first of all: I have never tried to kill myself.

For the most part this is a blessing; to me, my family, my loved ones & perhaps even some of the people I have worked with over the years & hopefully helped on their path to change. Although I suspect that last one is just wishful thinking!

There are some ways, however, that this lack of suicidal ideation has not been all that helpful. For someone with an array of mental health diagnosis, one of which is particularly linked with very (self)harmful behaviour, I have never been treated as an in-patient. I have been just a small drain upon the NHS. But on several occasions this has left me feeling side-lined by the health services; not needy enough to get much attention, functioning at too high a level for a mental health sufferer. I've been a patient of the Community Mental Health Teams (CMHTs) on just three occasions over 15 years and it felt reluctant on the part of the CMHT each time. Why is this employed, intelligent, reflective & "functioning" individual taking up our time? How dare I!!

But I digress.

Tonight, I'm feeling suicidal.
It's quite a remarkable place to be. I'm lucid, entirely sober and quite rational.
It's quite remarkable to be able to state something so emotive so factually. And almost impossible to state it without gaining drama & attention, despite those being far from the intended outcomes.
I'm not actively trying to kill myself (clearly, as I'm typing these words) but tonight the thought has been in my head and my mind has been scrolling through the options; mentally I picture myself a bit like Tony Stark with his snazzy floating translucent touch-sensitive screen, flicking through morbid images of my own demise.

I can only recall two other occasions where I have felt truly suicidal and feared for my own safety. Firstly, at university. I was far removed from reality, bordering on alcoholic, isolated, unstable & scared. All I can remember from that night are fleeting images; the rich, dark green of a wine bottle, a small mound of oval, white pills I'd carefully extracted from their plastic & foil cases. That was a decade ago and I was in a very different place. I have very little memory of what I went through, how it unfolded and how it came to a close.
The second time was just a few years ago. A time that shares similarities to my current circumstances. I was alarmingly rational, sober, hard completed a long & hard day at work. But felt the need to walk in to the local A&E department and ask to see someone because I feared I would seriously harm myself. I took myself to the hospital because I was so afraid that if I went home I could and probably would end my life. That's a pretty dire state to be in, non? I walked into that place asking for help, asking to be kept safe and I was told that I wasn't that ill, I was told that "you can't be that unwell because you're getting to work & functioning". Those were their exact words. To this day I become livid with rage just thinking about that response.

Again, I digress. This wasn't meant to be an unpleasant and unnecessary trip down memory lane. My intention was to reflect on the strange state of mental health stigma and how we, as sufferers and as loved ones of sufferers, deal with our difficult and intense negative emotions.

A few nights ago I was dealing with absolute despair & I felt like I had nowhere to turn. No-one I could impart this emotion on to.
It felt too difficult and too emotive to share with those that I love the most; my partner or my family. Without even saying the words I could anticipate the burden it would place on them; of concern & worry and even the feeling of betrayal, that someone that they give their love to could reject it in such a way that they feel so unloved, so unhappy.
Feelings of that magnitude and that sensitivity also feel far to personal and weighty to share with friends or strangers. I can't reach out to those that live nearby and I can't comprehend picking up the phone to the Samaritans or similar to release that pressure valve.

Which leaves us (me) in somewhat of a quandary. How do we keep ourselves safe?
When someone is rational and aware that behaviours like drinking a whole bottle of wine,  binge-eating a gluttonous quantity of food, inducing vomiting that leaves petecial hemmorhaging and devouring entire packets of laxatives in one go, are extremely harmful and likely to have alarming short and long-term effects on their health, how does one go about stopping those risky behaviours? Particularly when, despite rationalisation and applied logic & thinking skills, the person continues with this behaviour because it feels like the only option?
I still don't know the answer to this, unfortunately. And one night in question, I did all of those things. I scrolled through my entire phonebook hoping to find just one person I could reach out to & burden just a tiny part of my distress to and came up with nothing. Plenty of people I loved and cared about, but no-one really I felt could or should have to deal with my shit.

A few days further down the line and I'm mentally scrolling through suicide options and rationally considering how realistic it is that I might carry any of these out. Right this second, it's fairly unlikely. But these thoughts keep sneaking up on my whilst I'm not expecting them, whilst my guard is down; playing a computer game, browsing Facebook, on the phone. Moments of absolute clarity that demonstrate how simple it would be. How quickly it would take away all the internal pain and abject misery once and for all. I'd never have to make another decision in my life that I'd regret, that wouldn't pan out how I'd anticipated and left me feeling this troubled. Bliss.

Tonight I'm thankful I do have an outlet. More than one, in fact. This silly little blog. The chime of my phone as an unexpected picture of my family cat appears on screen. A post on my Facebook wall from a long-lost friend just dropping by. A text from the only person that knows all my darkest secrets but only ever tells me I'm amazing.

Ahh yes.

As it turns out, I do have one "safety net friend". He knows my deepest, darkest secrets and thankfully the other night I was able to send him two words; "I'm struggling". He responded and I was able to unburden, via text, a lot of my woes & destructive behaviours and for some reason I knew it wouldn't over-burden him. Far enough removed that he wouldn't panic for my safety or be personally offended that I felt this way.

If even I have someone like that, I'm pretty sure everyone else does to. Don't forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment